Alert Message: Anyone, 6 months of age and older, is eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Find your nearest vaccination location at
WARNING: Site will be down from 8-12PM CT.
Marriage records are not kept by the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records. Certified copies are only available at the county clerk in the county where the marriage occurred (see RESOURCES in the right-hand column and click on List of County Clerks).
The Division of Vital Records can verify the facts of a marriage that has taken place from 1962 through the current index date available. The facts of a marriage include: names, dates of birth, date of event, and city/county of event.
Verifications cost $5 and can be requested by mail, by fax, or in person.
How to Obtain a Marriage Verification
To obtain a marriage verification, you must submit the following:
- A completed Application for Verification of Marriage/Civil Union Record Files (see FORMS in the right-hand column)
- A valid government issued photo identification (ID) that must be readable and is not expired/out of date (if an ID is not provided, unreadable, or expired, the request will be returned unprocessed)
- To learn more about valid IDs, see RESOURCES in the right-hand column and click on IDs
- To learn more about the required costs/fees, see RESOURCES in the right-hand column and click on Costs/Fees
To Order by Mail
You can mail the completed application for verification of marriage/civil union record files (see FORMS in the right-hand column) or send a letter providing the names of both parties, their dates of birth, and the date and place of the marriage, if known, and a check or money order (do not send cash) for the $5 fee made payable to the "Illinois Department of Public Health" to:
Illinois Department of Public Health
Division of Vital Records
925 E. Ridgely Ave.
Springfield, IL 62702-2737
To Order by Fax
Orders can be faxed to 217-523-2648. You will need to include the application for verification of marriage/civil union record files or provide the names of both parties and the date and place of the marriage on the transmittal/cover sheet. You also need to include the following information:
- Your credit card number and expiration date ($5 fee, $12.95 handling fee, and $19.50 fee if UPS delivery is selected)
- A daytime phone number, including area code, should it be necessary to contact you about the request
- Your return address
- Your written signature
- A valid government issued photo identification (ID) (if an ID is not provided, unreadable, or expired, the request will not be processed)
These orders may take seven business days to process. Incomplete or illegible applications will not be processed. An adult signature is necessary to accept the UPS delivery. We can send packages by UPS to your place of work. UPS deliveries cannot be made to post office boxes.
To Order in Person
In-person orders can be dropped off at the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records’ office at 925 East Ridgely Ave. in Springfield from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. PLEASE NOTE: The person requesting the verification will be asked to show a valid government issued photo identification (ID) card.